accomplish: intransitive use?

Viobi

Françoué (standard)
"Maybe it was because this was my first birth, but I really did NOT feel like I was accomplishing or doing anything that was good"

Is there a shade of meaning eluding me between "accomplish sth" and "do sth" here that would juistify the use of both verbs? Is it an intransitive use with a meaning of its own? Or just sloppy stylistics?

• vizzard

USA - English
    Well, Viobi, though the two can be used interchangeably in many instances, there is a difference. 'Accomplish" is particularly used to talk of about doing something which has a specific result or goal. But, in the example you give, I really don't think it adds much, so I would vote for the "sloppy stylistics" judgment!

croust'

Français - France
    maybe you could stuck to the exact translation in french that would give the same redundant style: accomplir et faire

LivingTree

Banned
    English - Canadian
    It's definitely transitive here: accomplishing anything that was good or doing anything that was good.

I agree with vizzard on the shade of meaning -- ordinarily the distinction could be that accomplishing has an end goal, doing is a process. In this context, though, it does seem to be an extremely fine distinction and in fact I doubt that the "doing" does refer to a process. If it did, it would more likely say "doing anything right", which I don't think is what it means. I think it means getting something done, which is the same as accomplishing it.

I think it's just a redundancy. But yup, as croust' said, you can just go with what it says.

< Previous | Next >