accomplish the heart

< Previous | Next >

rosicler

Spanish
Hello,
I would appreciate your help to understand the sentence in bold. I need to translate it, but I can not translate what I do not understand. I give you the whole paragraph. Maybe, someone may explain it to me in other words. Thank you!

When you measure your Christian life by a checklist, you’ve missed the point of your relationship with God as well. Not because the things on the list are bad. It’s just that having a list doesn’t accomplish the heart of why those things on the list exist. God knows our hearts better than we even know them ourselves, and what creates true intimacy in our lives with Him are actions motivated by love. <-----Excess quote removed by moderator to comply with four-sentence limit----->

Last edited by a moderator:
  • heypresto

English - England
    It's a poorly written sentence (in a poorly written paragraph) and it doesn't make much sense. 'Accomplish' is obviously the wrong word, but I'm not sure what the right word would be. :(

rosicler

Spanish
    It's a poorly written sentence (in a poorly written paragraph) and it doesn't make much sense. 'Accomplish' is obviously the wrong word, but I'm not sure what the right word would be. :(
    That's why I did not understand it, heypresto. But since English is not my mother tongue, I need some of you, English speakers, explain it to me in other words to catch the idea.

rosicler

Spanish
    May any kind English speaking person explain the meaning of the sentence in bold in this thread?
    It would be of much help at least rewrite it with other words maintaining the same meaning.
    Thanks in advance! :)

pob14

American English
    It's not well-written, as heypresto said, but here's my opinion:

Some people think being Christian means accomplishing some items on a list; going to church on Sunday, giving ten percent of your income to charity, saying certain prayers, and so on. The author says that these things are fine, but wants us to look for what he calls the "heart": the true meaning behind those items on a list. That meaning, he tells us, is love - love for God as expressed by love for other human beings. If you accomplish that - if you accomplish the "heart" of the list - you won't need to worry about the list, you will have a true relationship with God.

rosicler

Spanish
    It's not well-written, as heypresto said, but here's my opinion:

Some people think being Christian means accomplishing some items on a list; going to church on Sunday, giving ten percent of your income to charity, saying certain prayers, and so on. The author says that these things are fine, but wants us to look for what he calls the "heart": the true meaning behind those items on a list. That meaning, he tells us, is love - love for God as expressed by love for other human beings. If you accomplish that - if you accomplish the "heart" of the list - you won't need to worry about the list, you will have a true relationship with God.
    Thank you pob14!!

< Previous | Next >