accomplished 180-degree YES-man

Cyberusso

Russian
Hello, everybody! Could you please explain me what does the author mean by saying “accomplished 180-degree YES-man”? I’ve encountered this expression in the article titled “Kay, Francesa up to old tix tricks” (New York Post). Specifically, I do not understand why the term “180-degree” is used.

The context is as follows:

“For years, on Yankees radio and then TV, Kay would jump up and down: "Another sellout in Yankee Stadium!" Now, two years into the new, smaller-capacity Stadium, Kay, an accomplished 180-degree YES-man, uses ESPN 1050 to mock those who would make an issue over all those can't-miss-'em, empty good seats, many rows deep.”

Thanks!

• Hau Ruck

English - U.S.
    Well the YES part refers to the Yankees network. YES network on tv and radio. And it is most definitely in reference to this. That is why the capitalized all three letters Y-E-S. Google "yankee YES network" and you will see this part ;)
    180 degrees here refers not to temperature, but the angle of 180 degrees. 180 degrees usually refers to someone who completely changes their opinion/view on something. It refers to 180 degrees of rotation which puts a person completely opposite of where they were going. Thus, 180 degrees usually means the person has gone in a completely different way of thinking than they previously did.

Last edited:

Egmont

English - U.S.
    A "yes-man" is someone who always agrees with his boss, with company management, and so on: that is, always says "yes," no matter what the boss says. (The term is sometimes also applied to women; or, they can be called "yes-women.") The connection to the Yankees network, YES, mentioned in the previous post makes it a bit of a pun - and is emphasized by putting "YES" in upper-case letters.

A "180-degree yes-man" is a yes-man who can turn 180 degrees, that is, can change his position completely, in order to keep saying "yes."

An "accomplished 180-degree yes-man" is one who is very good at doing that.

What happened here is that a new Yankee Stadium was built in 2009 to replace the previous one. The new one has 52,000 seats. The old one had 57,000 seats. When the old one was open, Kay said the larger capacity was better. Now, because team owners have built a smaller stadium, he says that the smaller capacity is better.

Cyberusso

Russian
    Thank you guys a lot for your extensive and comprehensive replies!!! You’ve completely confirmed my guess!

< Previous | Next >