accomplished/skilled

< Previous | Next >

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
Hi, I'm curious as to know if accomplished sounds superior to skilled:

1. Gordon is an accomplished chef.
2. Gordon is a skilled chef.
Does gordon in sentence 1 sounds more magnificent in snetnce 2?

• JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    In my mind they don't quite go together on the same scale of assessment (of degree of magnificence?). They may be applied to a single person, but because you are skilled doesn't mean you have accomplished a lot, and vice versa. One might have accomplished a lot but that doesn't necessarily speak to the quality of those accomplishments - although it is often used in that manner. For example I know of a carpenter who has superb technical and artistic skills but has not accomplished as much as he might, because his interpersonal skills are not great and he has to work on his own much of the time. His work, such as it is, is nonetheless magnificent :)

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
    In my mind they don't quite go together on the same scale of assessment (of degree of magnificence?). They may be applied to a single person, but because you are skilled doesn't mean you have accomplished a lot, and vice versa. One might have accomplished a lot but that doesn't necessarily speak to the quality of those accomplishments - although it is often used in that manner. For example I know of a carpenter who has superb technical and artistic skills but has not accomplished as much as he might, because his interpersonal skills are not great and he has to work on his own much of the time. His work, such as it is, is nonetheless magnificent :)
    Thank you for your kind reply~

< Previous | Next >