accomplished

ironman2012

Chinese
Hi,

When I ask veteran college teachers and administrators to describe how college students have changed over the years, I often get an answer like this: "Today's students are more accomplished than past generations, but they are also more emotionally fragile."

(This comes from news-journal.com Brooks: Making modern toughness on Aug. 31, 2016. David Brooks writes for The New York Times.)

Does the blue part mean "they are more able, experienced and knowledgeable"?

Thanks in advance!

• ironman2012

Chinese
    Does the meaning of "accomplished" here not include "experienced and knowledgeable"?

"Accomplished" means "skilled", and "skilled" means "having enough ability, experience and knowledge to be able to do something well". So when I saw "accomplished", I often don't know what it exactly means, being capable, experienced and knowledgeable, or just being just one of the them.

suzi br

English / England
    In this case it’s very generic.

It certainly does not always mean knowledgable. I am an accomplished cyclist, but that doesn’t really mean I know a lot about it. I’m just “good” at it. Or capable of cycling well.

Modern students are “good” at some things, whatever skills this author is thinking of that she had chosen not to define.

< Previous | Next >