accorder la fréquence du mode 5 du fond du violon

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Gat - Vae Soli, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Gat - Vae Soli Member

French
    Hello,

I need to "accorder la fréquence du mode 5 du fond de mon violon"
    What shall I do?
    Shall I "tune the back plate TO mode 5 or IN Mode 5"?
    (there might need some fine-tuning for the rest... all I need is to find the correct 2-letter word!)

Gat - Vae Soli

2. padmavyuha Senior Member

Dawlish, Devon
    English - Southern England
    It depends what 'mode 5' means - it's possible that neither 'to' nor 'in' is correct here.

Is this a luthier's phrase, to do with 'tap tones' and scraping the back plate to get it to a certain pitch relative to the violin's tuning? Or is it just to do with tuning the instrument? I'm wondering whether the phrase means 'tune to a 5th relative to the fundamental of my violin'.

More context, please!

3. Gat - Vae Soli Member

French
    It is indeed about tuning each part of the instrument before assembling them and fine tuning the assembled set.
    You can find information on modes here :http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/chladni.html
    I personally understand the gist. It's just a matter of putting it in English.
    Or maybe I understand nought and that's the reason why I cannot provide you with any clearer context?!?

Gat - Vae Soli

4. padmavyuha Senior Member

Dawlish, Devon
    Okay, thanks for the link, that makes sense now (I spent a couple of years hanging around violin makers at Newark College years ago, so I know about tap-tones and all that arcane stuff :)).
    Answering your original question is more difficult! I'm thinking it really should be something like "tune the back plate in accordance with mode 5" or "...using mode 5" since the mode describes the manner in which the plate resonates, rather than a particular tuning/frequency, doesn't it?
    I'm sorry if I'm making this more complicated than it is, but... I think it's more complicated :).

5. Gat - Vae Soli Member

French
    Thanks a lot.
    Indeed, the whole thing is a bit complicated, but again the time you took to investigate and your answer are precious!

Gat - Vae Soli

6. padmavyuha Senior Member

Dawlish, Devon
    Good luck with your tuning - just don't tap too hard, I saw a guy snap a belly plate in half doing that :(. Ah, these Bavarians - but he knows better now :).

7. Gat - Vae Soli Member

French
    Naaaaa!
    I'll let you know... Stay tuned!

Gat - Vae Soli