according to (adverbial adjunct?)

I've got a question regarding syntax. In the following sentence,
what would 'according to' be? I think it might be an adverbial adjunct, but I can't tell for sure. Any suggestions?

According to a study by Dr. E. Glenn Shellenberg at the University of Toronto, IQ test scores of 6 year old children significantly improved after receiving drum lessons

thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • SevenDays

Spanish
    I've got a question regarding syntax. In the following sentence,
    what would 'according to' be? I think it might be an adverbial adjunct, but I can't tell for sure. Any suggestions?

according to a study by Dr. E. Glenn Shellenberg at the University of Toronto, IQ test scores of 6 year old children significantly improved after receiving drum lessons

thanks!
    Hello
    "According to" is a preposition, meaning "as stated in" or "reported by." a study by Dr. E. Glenn Shellenberg at the University of Toronto is a noun phrase and the object of the preposition "according to." The prepositional phrase (preposition + object of preposition) According to a study by Dr. E. Glenn Shellenberg at the University of Toronto functions as an adverb (sentence adverb or sentential adverb) because it modifies the entire sentence IQ test scores of 6 yr old children significantly improved after receiving drum lessons.

(A further word about "according to." There are some grammarians who view some adjectives as prepositions, including the adjective "according." In their analysis, "according" and "to" are two prepositions that join to form the single preposition "according to," where "to" is the complement of "according." Traditional grammar doesn't worry about this, and considers "according" an adjective and "according to" a preposition.)

Cheers

< Previous | Next >