According to European tradition "

< Previous | Next >

danabaires

Bs. As., Argentina
Hello everyone,

I need to know how to write the following:

a) "Produced according to European tradition from herb extracts carefully selected"

OR

B) "Produced according to the European tradition from herb extracts carefully selected"

Which one is correct?

Thanks!

Dana

• vértigo83

México-español (Spanish)
    Sería "according to the European tradition..."

Usa el "the" cuando quieras referirte a algo en específico, en esta caso, a la específica tradición europea.

unspecified

English, USA
    They both are correct, but it depends on what you mean.

If you are distinguishing between European and non-European traditions (for example, European and American traditions), or one specific European tradition among many possible European traditions, "the" should be included.

If you are referring to any of various European traditions or European tradition in general, then you don't need the article.

ETA: I think A (without the article) is probably correct, but maybe not.

vértigo83

México-español (Spanish)
    They both are correct, but it depends on what you mean.

If you are distinguishing between European and non-European traditions ( for example, European and American traditions), or one specific European tradition among many possible European traditions, "the" should be included.

If you are referring to any of various European traditions or European tradition in general, then you don't need the article.

ETA: I think A (without the article) is probably correct, but maybe not.
    BUT, the original sentece talks about one single European tradion.

unspecified

English, USA
    BUT, the original sentece talks about one single European tradition.
    I don't really know where you got that from. It seems to me like they're talking of European tradition in general. I don't know what the product is, so it's hard to be sure. Plus, there is no mention of any other non-European tradition (in the sentence provided) with which the tradition they mention could be confused, so the "the" sounds a bit funny to me.

If you take out "European," it might be more obvious that the article sounds awkward in the sentence. Also, this doesn't sound great either:

"Produced according to the one (specific) European tradition from herb extracts carefully selected"

Perhaps since it's hard to specifically define a tradition... Though, this is probably out of the scope of the question originally asked.

viajero_canjeado

English - Southeastern USA
    Well, "tradition" there could have two meanings and unique punctuation to differentiate them:

1: If the original punctuation is preserved, then "tradition" denotes the customary, habitual way that Europeans have of preparing said product.

2: If the sentence was written as such: "The mystical beverage was produced, according to ("the" optional) European tradition, by mixing herbs..." This one means that no one knows for sure, but the extant accounts point toward the given explanation. I most often hear this form used with religious groups: "According to the Christian tradition, the bones of St. James were interred in Santiago de Compostela."

< Previous | Next >