According to

volver

french belgium
Hello,

I think that there is a missunderstanding regarding this issue.
You provided me reference 2916026 / 2916064 who was according to you shipped on March 11th.
Motorola said that they were shipped Fevruary 27th after receiving the units February 22nd.

Can you please tell me if i put according to you correcly in the sentence?

Thank you

VOLVER

• ewie

English English
    It would probably sound better at the end of the sentence, separated by a comma, Volver:
    You provided me with reference 2 / 2 which was shipped on March 11th, according to you.
    If you wanted to keep it in that position, you'd need to separate it with 2 commas:
    You provided me with reference 2 / 2 which, according to you, was shipped on March 11th.
    You provided me with reference 2 / 2 which was, according to you, shipped on March 11th.
    (In fact, I think these second versions sound rather better than the first.)

Note the other corrections: provide someone with something, [relative pronoun] which.

Salvage

USA English
    Hello,

I think that there is a missunderstanding regarding this issue.
    You provided me reference 2916026 / 2916064 who was according to you shipped on March 11th.
    Motorola said that they were shipped Fevruary 27th after receiving the units February 22nd.

Can you please tell me if i put according to you correcly in the sentence?

Thank you

VOLVER
    1. A "reference" is a thing, not a person. Therefore use "which" instead of "who".

2. "according to you" needs to be more specific. Cite a letter, an invoice, a phone conversation, or personal conversation. For example, "which, according to your letter of 2 June 2008, shipped on March 11th . . ."

"according to you" is directed at a person and sounds rude. Referring to a communication softens this.

3. The Motorola sentence needs to be politely in opposition. Something simple, like: "Motorola, however, has stated that the units were shipped . . ." Again, specificity of how and what Motorola was talking about.

4. In the Motorola sentence, the sentence is easier to understand if the events are put chronological order, so: "Motorola, however, says that the units were received February 22nd and shipped on February 27th."

This is probably more than you wanted, but I felt the other aspects of the message needed addresses.

< Previous | Next >