according to

sunsail

de langue Turc
Hello,
Suppose this dialogue happens, B tries to understand the resource of the data. is b's question correct ? or how do you ask instead?

A:it's either p1 or p2
B:according to which one is that true?

Best Regards

• Loob

English UK
    Hi sunsail

I think you mean B tries to understand the source of the data;)

If I were B, I'd probably say something like "How do you know?" or "What do you base that on?"

b1947420

British English
    Hello,
    Suppose this dialogue happens, B tries to understand the resource of the data. is b's question correct ? or how do you ask instead?

A:it's either p1 or p2
    B:according to which one is that true?

Best Regards
    There's a couple of points to make here.

1) I don't think the word "resource" is correct. I think you should say "source"
    2) If we are asking which of two options? Then we need to say "Which of the two options is true, p1 or p2?

or if you want to use the word "according" then we can say "According to you, which of the two options is true p1 or p2?"

sunsail

de langue Turc
    Thanks. "according to which one is that true?" So is this grammatically uncorrect?

what is the difference between resource/source here?

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    It's sounds very strange to begin a question with 'according to'. It can be followed by either a person or some other source of information:

According to you, the answer is X. (= you said X)
    According to this book, the answer is Y. (= this book says Y)

But I don't think you can ask about who said it, or about which book says it, using 'according to':

:cross:According to who is the answer X?
    :cross:According to which book is the answer Y?

(The book is the source of this information, on this occasion. It's a resource if it contains lots of information that you could use from time to time.)

sunsail

de langue Turc
    What I understand from the notes is that it's not grammatically wrong however it gives an idea of I m not native speaker,right?

sunsail

de langue Turc
    It's sounds very strange to begin a question with 'according to'. It can be followed by either a person or some other source of information:

According to you, the answer is X. (= you said X)
    According to this book, the answer is Y. (= this book says Y)

But I don't think you can ask about who said it, or about which book says it, using 'according to':

:cross:According to who is the answer X?
    :cross:According to which book is the answer Y?

(The book is the source of this information, on this occasion. It's a resource if it contains lots of information that you could use from time to time.)
    Over your example,I want to detail it

"According to who is the answer X?"

Here you have people with answers
    According to Billy answer is X
    According to Jane answer is Y
    According to John answer is Z
    According to Mary answer is X

And you want to ask a question so that you can get people to find whose answer is X.And you say

"According to who is the answer X? according to Billy or Mary or John"

is it still sounding strange

Thanks

< Previous | Next >