account for

Discussion in 'English Only' started by hly2004, Apr 25, 2007.

1. hly2004 Banned

chinese
    Hi, everyone:

(1)One common example is getting birth dates of customers, who see no reason to share their age, notes Anne Milley, director of technology product marketing at SAS Institute, so you get false data, such as the easy-to-enter 11/11/11, or no information at all.
    (2)In such cases, thought should be given to whether you really need that information for your analysis and, if so, how your analysis will account for the missing data so results remain meaningful, she says. (3)This kind of thinking should be done before you deploy data collection, transformation, mining, analysis, or reporting systems, she adds.

Could you explain to me the meaning of the red part in the context?

More explanation:
    I look it up in my dictionary. But I cannot understand.

2. Rivendell

Rivendell Senior Member

Madrid
    Spanish / Spain
    < Edited to remove off-topic comment. Cagey, moderator >

Hly2004: "how your analysis will account for the missing data" means, what are you going to do with the missing data when you write the results of the analysis??. How can you do any statistics (for example) if there are some fields missing??

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2017
  3. hly2004 Banned

chinese
    I see, Thank you, Rivendell

I wonder if it has the same meaning as the one below:

3 account for accounts for; accounting for; accounted for
    If you can account for something, you can explain it or give the necessary information about it.
    How do you (a)account for the company's alarmingly high staff turnover?.
    He said only 200 of the train's 600 passengers had been (b)accounted for.
    PHR-V
    = explain

from Collins Cobuild

B.t.w. For no reason, I found the (a) and (b) are different, thought they are under the same entry.

:)

4. Rivendell

Rivendell Senior Member

Madrid
    Spanish / Spain
    Yes, that's right: "explain or give the necessary information" is a good translation. It is true that a) and b) are a little bit different, but the Collins definition applies to both.

In a) I'd say "explain" and b) means that there is only information about 200 of the 600 passengers.

COLLINS is usually right!! :)

5. hly2004 Banned

chinese
    Thanks again~!
    :)

6. liulia Senior Member

Ireland
    English/French
    Explain, or take into account.