Account

Discussion in 'English Only' started by keeley_h, Mar 3, 2010.

1. keeley_h Senior Member

Bulgarian
    Hello everybody,

I think 'account' usually means 1 or 2.
    1. arrangement at a bank etc. for depositing and withdrawing money, credit, etc. open an account
    2. record or statement of financial transactions with the balance keep detailed accounts

Most emailers have an edit field named 'mail account' and demand the user to put in a letter string when the user set up the mailer. 'Mail account' is used to identify the user when the user sends or recieves email.

What does 'account' in 'mail account' mean?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  2. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    What's a mailer? Do you mean an email program?

3. keeley_h Senior Member

Bulgarian
    Oh, yes. I mean an email program.

4. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    A mail account is usually your account name and the ISP you're using: copyright@greatshakes.com, where greatshakes is my Internet service provider. (That's not a real email, of course, despite the underlining.)

5. keeley_h Senior Member

Bulgarian
    Thanks for your quick reply.

I know that.
    But what I'd like to know is what 'account' in 'mail account' means. I think 'account' in 'mail account' is not quite the same as 1 or 2 in my first post.

What does 'account' in 'mail account' mean?

6. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Nothing like telling you something you already know, eh? Ok, try this: account: a formal contractual relationship established to provide for regular banking or brokerage or business services. It's the 10th definition in the WR dictionary.

7. keeley_h Senior Member

Bulgarian
    Oh, it's so nice and interesting!
    I didn't know that!
    I got it!

Thanks!
    Ciao.