accueillir environ 40 à 50

Rosy Abelia

romanian
Hy,

I know that are various ways to translate accueillir into English.

..où nous comptons sur votre aide pour accueillir environ 40 à 50.

EN : Where we rely on your help to accommodate/welcome? about 40-50 people.

thank you

• clairet

England & English (UK version)
    It depends on the context. Is the subject of discussion how to accommodate these people or how, more generally, to welcome them?

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    Yes.

For a hotel, it would be to accommodate or more informally to sleep.
    For a restaurant it could be to accommodate or to seat or even to feed.
    For a theatre/lecture hall/etc. it could be to accommodate or to seat.

I can't honestly think of an instance where to welcome would be my preferred choice.

Rosy Abelia

romanian
    Hm, indeed in my sentence it's about the fact that they need a place to sleep and a meal. So yes, accomodate is the best option.

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    You're right, so long as you spell it accommodate!

Further to my post #4:

If the idea is really to welcome (e.g. to say hello, give a little speech, show people round... as in a museum) then I think I'd say to receive.

Rosy Abelia

romanian
    so welcome is used only when we say "welcome to my place ? or at the airport ? Welcome to France ?

sorry, yes it's accommodate, i will go for it.

LART01

French-France
    so welcome is used only when we say "welcome to my place ? or at the airport ? Welcome to France ?

sorry, yes it's accommodate, i will go for it.
    Hi
    Your initial post could be understood in 2 different ways, depending on context:
    We are counting on you/your help to welcome/meet and greet 40 to 50 people
    We are counting on you/on your support to put up 40 to 50 people ( They will stay at your place)

Rosy Abelia

romanian
    We are counting on you/your help to welcome/meet and greet 40 to 50 people
    LART01 you don't like the verb rely on ?
    I have the impression of an unfinished sentence if I say : to put up 40 to 50 people. They are not staying at his place.
    He has to help us with the accommodation, to find a place where to stay and to offer them a meal per day, something like that.

LART01

French-France
    LART01 you don't like the verb rely on ?
    I have the impression of an unfinished sentence if I say : to put up 40 to 50 people. They are not staying at his place.
    He has to help us with the accommodation, to find a place where to stay and to offer them a meal per day, something like that.
    Again, context. I understood votre as plural ( several people would be involved) and this is obviously not the case here.
    I would suggest préparer/organiser l'accueil de here, then.Accueillir is not wrong,though.That's for the French!

Rosy Abelia

romanian
    In fact, it can be at plural. Because maybe there are several people who will take in charge the others.
    And if we say we count on your support is obvisous that they will prepare the accommodation no?

< Previous | Next >