accueillir pour une formation

chuann6

English India
I have a doubt...vis-à-vis the use of accueillir pour une formation

"I, XXX, Director, Department of YYY agree to take Mr ZZZ on for a training programme in ...for 15 days in March "

or

"I, XXX Director, Department of YYY agree to welcome Mr ZZZ a training programme in ... for 15 days in March 2009"

I prefer the first but am told that it could have a connotaton of hiring. I'm not aware that it did, but would welcome feedback.

• wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    Sorry, but your question is not clear to me, chuann6. Are you trying to translate from English to French or vice-versa? Neither one of the English sentences sound like anything a native speaker would write in English...

chuann6

English India
    Sorry Wildan1

I'm translating from French to English :

Je soussigné, xxx , accepte d'accueillir pour une formation en ....

I agree that it sounds stilted, but I need to keep the formal administrative style.

Your suggestions are very welcome....:)

Last edited:

wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    This is to confirm that we are willing to host Mr. X for a training program in ____ for two weeks in March.

Sincerely,

(signature goes here)

Mr. XYZ
    Director

The French style of writing "Je soussigné, XYZ, blablabla..." is not necessary in English. You just say the sentence normally and sign your name with the title at the end of the letter.

chuann6

English India
    Right , but wouldn't "host" entail hospitality?

Perhaps I'll just say that he's admitted to the programme. But on the other hand if they say accueillir I wouldn't want to miss out on that...:-(

So ...willing to accept Mr Xxx for a training programme in .....would that do justice to it? If yes, merci Wildan1 de m'avoir dépanné!

Last edited:

chuann6

English India
    Yes, finally with my French editor, we settled on "accept" as being neutral and not open to misinterpretation, but thank you for helping me find the way out of the maze of bureacratic language.

< Previous | Next >