accueillir quelqu'un comme prévu

Syagrius

Français. Québec¸Canada.
Bonsoir,

Voici ma phrase en français:

Finalement, ça va mal pour moi. Je crois que je ne pourrai pas t’accueillir comme prévu.
(La personne mentionne qu'elle ne pourrai pas recevoir chez elle, son invité, tel que prévu depuis des mois)

Et ma traduction anglaise:
Finally, things aren't going well for me. I believe I won't be able to house you as planned / as we had planned / as agreed.

Quel est le meilleur équivalent anglais américain pour "je crois que je ne pourrai t'accueillir comme prévu" svp?

Merci.

• Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    You can use "to put someone up" (in AE too); it means to let them sleep overnight at your place. I believe I won't is grammar interference from French, and not idiomatic in English, where we say I don't think I can ....

I don't think I can (or I'll be able to) put you up as we'd previously agreed ...
    Micia's accommodate is ok too. You can't use "house" here. To "house" someone means to provide them with (long-term) housing.

AE speakers might say: I don't think I can have you stay over ....

Nicomon

Français, Québec ♀
    I just have a question...

The initial French version is : Je crois que je ne pourrai (pas) t'accueillir
    And not : Je ne crois pas que je pourrai t'accueillir

I do sense a nuance in French.

Is there a way to make the same nuance in English?
    Because I don't think I'll be able to sounds to me like Je ne crois pas que je pourrai

Could we say for instance : I'm afraid (that) I won't be able to receive you / have you over as planned ?

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >