acculturation

Punky Zoé

Pau
France - français
Hi there

I'm wondering first if the word acculturation is common or lettered in English.

Then does acculturation means that the minority group borrows the culture of the majority (willy nilly). In other words does that word convey the idea of colonialism ?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my poor English.

• cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    The word is usually found in academic settings. You are unlikely to hear it in most colloquial settings. It has nothing to do with minorities, rather it is the adoption of surrounding culture by anyone, including infants. It does not suggest colonialism although many people from imperial nations are likely to have adopted some aspects of the cultures of those they ruled.

American Heritage Dictionary:

1. The modification of the culture of a group or individual as a result of contact with a different culture.
    2. The process by which the culture of a particular society is instilled in a human from infancy onward.

Punky Zoé

Pau
    France - français
    Thanks Cuchu :)

The reason I asked is that the same word exists in French and I read somewhere that this word has been replaced in Europ by such words as transculturation or interpenetration of cultures, judged less nagative, which conveys the idea of mix of culture.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Interesting. I'll keep my opinions of PC influence on language to myself for the moment.

An obvious example of acculturation is visible in these forums. Many newcomers arrive here, assuming from their previous experiences that all internet boards are for informal chatter. As they spend a little time here, they adopt—sometimes with reluctance—the style and customs of the forum community.

You and I, as "native" members of the community, persuade the "visitors" or "immigrants" to adopt our strange ways. They are not colonizers, nor are they or we subjects of imperialism.

Punky Zoé

Pau
    France - français
    I understand your point of view, and abandoning the idea but according to the WRF rules the newcomers, if they want to keep posting here, have to adapt their behaviour, but are they likely to influence the WRF rules or aim ?

I mean does acculturation implies that there is a dominant culture ?

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >