Accumulation of Impurities-covered Artifact

ayed

Arabic(Saudi)
Hello, folks.

This sentence is off my head and want to check the structure in red

There are often accumulation of impurities-covered artifacts in the riverbeds and seafloor.

• ayed

Arabic(Saudi)
    Thanks , srk, for input.
    Yes, I mean trash and sediments

Is the structure in red grammatically correct?

srk

English - US
    Yes. "Off the top of my head" is the right idiom. It means "without a lot of thought."

Oh, your red! Yes, the grammar is ok, but that compound adjective is unusual and awkward.

ayed

Arabic(Saudi)
    This is my question
    There are often accumulation of impurities-covered artifacts in the riverbeds and seafloor.
    Is it grammatically correct?

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    Is the meaning that there are accumulations of artifacts, and that the artifacts are covered in impurities?
    If so, then although "accumulations of impurities-covered artifacts" may be technically correct, it looks and sounds sufficiently unnatural that it would be better to express it in some other way, for example "accumulations of artifacts covered in impurities".

ayed

Arabic(Saudi)
    Thanks Edinburgher.
    I want to keep the same structure
    Accumulations of impurities-covered artifacts. I am sure it sounds strange or somewhat complex

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    The sentence needs to be expanded, otherwise the meaning is lost:
    There is often an accumulation of impurities that cover artifacts that are found on the riverbeds and seafloor.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    I think the conclusion to draw from Paul's and my advice is that you should really consider not keeping the same structure.
    What is your reason for making minimal changes to the original, when its meaning is unclear?

ayed

Arabic(Saudi)
    I think the conclusion to draw from Paul's and my advice is that you should really consider not keeping the same structure.
    What is your reason for making minimal changes to the original, when its meaning is unclear?
    Thanks for the clarification.
    Just to check if this sort of construction works. I do know how to phrase the whole sentence in a way to sound natural

< Previous | Next >