Accumulation of vantages

josiahholley

Chinese - China
Hello. I was listening to a podcast and the host said something along the lines of "growing old is the accumulation of years and vantages." I'm not sure about the meaning of vantages here. Thanks in advance.

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    In this use, "vantage" is almost obsolete = advantage. The word "vantage" instead of "advantage" was last used seriously about 250 years ago.

It exists now only in "a vantage point" -> a place that has (literally or figuratively) a commanding view of everything in the area.

josiahholley

Chinese - China
    In this use, "vantage" is almost obsolete = advantage. The word "vantage" instead of "advantage" was last used seriously about 250 years ago.

It exists now only in "a vantage point" -> a place that has (literally or figuratively) a commanding view of everything in the area.
    Then why is aging an accumulation of advantages? Contextually the speaker seems bitter about getting old so I don't follow his logic...

Packard

USA, English
    Then why is aging an accumulation of advantages? Contextually the speaker seems bitter about getting old so I don't follow his logic...
    Not advantages, but vantage points, or an aerie. A high position where you can see all around you and get the "big picture".

Growing old is the accumulation of experience and perspective.

(I wanted to include an image of an aerie, an eagle's nest showing the view. Unfortunately the word "aerie" has been co-opted by the bra and pantie division of American Eagle and mostly you just see pictures of women in undergarments.)

josiahholley

Chinese - China
    Not advantages, but vantage points, or an aerie. A high position where you can see all around you and get the "big picture".

Growing old is the accumulation of experience and perspective.

(I wanted to include an image of an aerie, an eagle's nest showing the view. Unfortunately the word "aerie" has been co-opted by the bra and pantie division of American Eagle and mostly you just see pictures of women in undergarments.)
    Very informative. :DThanks so much!

Packard

USA, English
    My first thought was that you heard it wrongly, josiah, and that what was actually said was ...."accumulation of disadvantages."
    That could be. Certainly advantages is the more common word, but then that would render my response as nonsense. I don't see how to make advantages work in this context.

< Previous | Next >