Accurate or precise

Discussion in 'English Only' started by cotad, Apr 25, 2008.

1. cotad New Member

French
    Hi,

I'm working on an ad and I really don't know if I can use the term of "precise".

It's for a measuring device (a field strength meter). I would like to say something like it's a easy tool with precise measures. In fact, the measures are not exact because there is an accuracy of some dB. So, can I use "precise" to caracterize the device?

Thanks for your help!

2. Dimcl Senior Member

British Columbia, Canada
    Canadian English
    What does "dB" mean?

3. maria_bach Senior Member

Spain-Spanish
    Hello,

you could say "it is an easy management tool, which provides accurate measurements".
    Or else, you could say "a very precise device". I would not say "an accurate device", but I cannot explain the reason.
    (Of course, a device has always some kind of error, in this case, some dBs. There is nothing "manufactured" with error 0.)
    Regards
    María

4. cotad New Member

French
    dB = decibel

5. cotad New Member

French
    I followed this way.
    At first, I had : "*** measuring device, easy and precise"
    And then, I thought about another slogan if I couldn't use the first one: "An easy to use instrument for accurate measurement".

6. Dimcl Senior Member

British Columbia, Canada
    Canadian English
    Am I safe in assuming that you mean an inaccuracy of some decibels? If you used a phrase like "user-friendly, precision instrument", there is less emphasis than there would be by calling it a "precise tool".

If the tool is as precise as possible given the current technology, I think it would be fair to use either "accurate" or "precise".

By the way... abbreviations are not to be used according to forum rules for the very reason that I had to ask about "dB". We are from all walks of life and not everyone knows about your field of expertise.:)

7. maria_bach Senior Member

Spain-Spanish
    Aaaah, I understand now what is an "ad" ¿advertisment?.

I would prefer the first one.
    Or "An easy to use instrument for getting accurate measurements". But this one is too long for an ad.
    María

8. panjandrum

panjandrum Occasional Moderator

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    ... accurate and easy to use ...

9. cotad New Member

French
    Yes, you're right. It's an inaccuracy :)

And sorry for the abbreviation. That's right that not everyone knows what does it mean (the best example is my girlfriend: she's always asking me "what are you talking about? I don't know what does it mean".

So, according to you, I could use either "easy and precise" or "easy-to-use instrument > accurate measurement".

Don't you think that one has a more "negative" connotation than the other one?