Accusé de réception

Squiggle

English - UK
Hi there, I'm a first timer so please bear with me!

Regarding "accusé de réception" in postal terms, can I not just put "recorded delivery"? My research shows it's the equivalent service from the Royal Mail.

Many thanks

• Quaeitur

Mod'elle
    French
    Hi and welcome to the forum Squiggle

There are many many threads on the subject already. I encourage to check them out :) (Check the list of threads at the bottom of the page for Accusé (the link I pasted here).

Squiggle

English - UK
    Wow, that was quick! I have been through the threads already and most seem to suggest something along the line of "acknowlegement of receipt" which appears to me accurate but not something you would actually say in English whereas Recorded Delivery is a common phrase. I just wondered if anyone else had used it in this context.

andad

American English
    I have checked over the links, and I think your answer probably lies there. But I have the same problem you do. As an American, I would probably not say that. Instead, I would say "by certified letter".

-I just saw that you had already responded. I personally have never used 'recorded delivery', but that's probably a difference between American and British English.

Last edited:

staticmouse

English - British
    However, in the UK, there's no service that I know of where you receive a copy of the signature of the receiver, as there is in France with an "accusé de reception"...

The record in a recorded delivery stays with the post office as far as i know

alisonp

English - UK
    You haven't actually *given* the context particularly - a bit more information might help us to sort out precisely what translation would be appropriate, because most of what people have said above could apply under certain circumstances.

Squiggle

English - UK
    Oh dear, I thought my problem was solved but apparently not! More context, for example:

Le Client s'engage à nous notifier pas lettre recommandée avec accusé de réception.

The Client undertakes to notify us by ... recorded delivery mail??? As you can see it's a very formal context.

alisonp

English - UK
    In that case, it could be the case that they've sent you a registered letter with a form/postcard or something which you have to return to confirm receipt.

Squiggle

English - UK
    Yes, that's exactly what it is, that's how it works in France, and the sender is then sent confirmation that the mail has been signed for. That I understand and know. What I don't know is how to put that in concise, unambiguous English (especially if the same service doesn't exist in the UK)!

< Previous | Next >