accusé de réception

• PhilFrEn

français - France
    Hi,

I think it is something like notice of receipt.

It can also be other stuff depending for what is your "accusé de réception", a letter, a mail...

Simon Fac

French & German
    Je travaille beaucoup avec des entreprises americaines ou anglaises et j'ai toujours trouvé : "acknowledgement" ou "acknowledgement of receipt".

Je dirais meme que le plus courrant est acknowledgement tout court.

volver

french belgium
    Bonjour,

Comment diriez-vous accusé de réception pour les mails.

Pouvez-vous m'envoyer un accusé réception suite à mon mail?

Merci.

VOLVER

altoeste

France - French & Canadian English
    - poste: acknowledgement of receipt, proof of delivery
    - email: delivery status notification, message disposition notification

alisonp

English - UK
    No. "Delivery status notification" is what you get from a mail server (?) when your message has been delayed in getting to its destination. If you want to put something in the body of the email, you could just ask the addressee to acknowledge receipt of your email. I think we'd use a verbal form rather than a noun phrase like "acknowledgement of receipt" in this context - that to me sounds more like a physical piece of paper.

volver

french belgium
    Sorry but I don't follow you.

What should I say if I send an email to someone and I want this person to reply back confirming that she received it.

Should I say can you please send the address to acknowledge receipt of your email??

Thank you

VOLVER

wesetters

English
    the post office then precised : Recorded Signed For with guaranteed signature on delivery.

which is self explanatory !
    Signature on delivery doesn't mean there's an avis. Registered = recommandé sans avis de réception. - It's "livraison contre signature", but it doesn't get you some sort of delivery receipt.

Uncle Bob

British English
    As far as I know the French type of "accusé de réception" does not exist in the UK, as pointed out by wesetters.
    One does not receive any return piece of paper. If the other person says they have not received the letter and you want to prove that they have then, I assume, there is a whole performance with the Post Office looking to see whether they have a signature in their little book ...

alisonp

English - UK
    It rather looks as though Recorded Delivery as such no longer exists in the UK: http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/jump2?catId=400028&mediaId=500201
    As I recall, it used to be that the Royal Mail used to put a barcode on the piece of mail and gave you a matching one, and then you could take it to the Post Office and get it scanned to confirm that delivery had occurred.

But this has gone way beyond what the original query relates to, which was emails. My comment above still stands.

LMorland

American English
    What should I say if I send an email to someone and I want this person to reply back confirming that she received it.

Should I say can you please send the address to acknowledge receipt of your email?
    Not exactly.

I worked in American law firms for a number of years, and the appropriate phrase would be. "I would appreciate an acknowledgment of this email."

(I don't know what you mean by "send the address"... that doesn't make sense to me in context.)

As for proof of delivery (accusé de réception) that does very much exist in the States. It's called certified mail, and you must sign two documents when you receive a certified letter. One document is retained by the Oost Office; the other is a green postcard pre-addressed by the expediter of the letter. The postman or woman puts this postcard (with your signature on the back) in the mail, and it arrives chez the expediter with the normal mail delivery. It's not terribly expensive, and very useful!

These days the U.S. Post Office does enable package and document tracking by Internet, but it's a separate service that doesn't necessarily require a signature.

< Previous | Next >