accused of <being> aloof [active voice of 'being']

forgoodorill

Chinese
Hi, everyone!
I read an article and saw this:

President Xi Jinping, accused of being aloof amid the crisis, made a very public appearance in Beijing.

And I think it's a passive voice, so I want to change it into active voiceSorry,

I just want to try to write it, but failed. I think it should be 'people accused of president xi, but how to deal with this 'being'?

Thanks in advance! :)

Source: Coronavirus Updates: A Grim Landmark as Official Death Toll in China Tops 1,000

• pachanga7

English - US
    Hello,

Please understand that the passive form is being used to make the statement more concise. If you want to unpack it, you may end up with something longer and more complicated.

Here are some options:

People/critics accused President Xi Jinping of being aloof amidst the crisis. He then made a very public appearance in Beijing.

President Xi Jinping, whom critics accused of being aloof amid the crisis, made...

forgoodorill

Chinese
    :confused:Could you explain more? Thomas Tompion?
    I think it's not passive in form, but passive in meaning.
    I think 'aloof' just describes its state and the reason of his accusation.

But Xi, definitely not say 'I apologize...', rather, he was criticized by others

Hope you could correct me. Because my English is very bad.:(

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    [...]
    I think it's not passive in form, but passive in meaning.
    I suspect you are saying to yourself that a person who is aloof is not actively participating in the operation.

This seems to me a dangerous way of thinking when we have been talking about active and passive in their grammatical senses.

Away from grammar it's true that a person who is aloof is not actively engaged, but that doesn't mean he's passive, that he's happy for things to be done to him.

Either way, I'd press you not to talk in a language forum simultaneously of the grammatical and non-grammatical senses of the words active and passive.

forgoodorill

Chinese
    Thanks, Thomas Tompion!:):thumbsup: I don't think 'aloof' in the way you said ever.
    I just write it wrong, I think in the two parts following:
    President Xi Jinping, accused of being aloof amid the crisis,

I think he 'was accused of', although i know 'accuse' could use both passive and active voice.
    Thanks! :)

Loob

English UK
    TT, I think forgoodorill was saying that he wanted to change passive "accused ..." into an active form. Pachanga did that in post 2. :thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >