accused the UK of being <“America’s bitch”>

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
Is “America’s bitch” a mild insult? Or a strong one?

Snowden, the former US government contractor wanted for leaking details of US surveillance programmes, called the arrest a “dark moment for press freedom”. Meanwhile, actor Pamela Anderson, one of a diverse range of public figures and celebrities to have visited Assange, tweeted that she was “in shock”, and accused the UK of being “America’s bitch” and of seeking a diversion “from your idiotic Brexit bullshit”.

Source: Julian Assange faces US extradition after arrest at Ecuadorian embassy

• Hermione Golightly

British English
    Although I am somewhat used to this horrible word 'bitch' being bandied around in various contexts, the one that comes to mind here is that of somebody who is a homosexual sex slave in a prison. It is insulting, unless you belong to a sector of society which uses it for any woman
    'Bitch' is the correct term for a female dog of course.
    (I never in a million years thought I would be agreeing with Pamela Anderson of all people, not however in this particular context. Actually I didn't know she could talk.)

e2efour

UK English
    The description of the UK as "America's poodle" has been around since 1907, it seems.

The use of bitch for a country that is inclined to do what America asks of it seems to be a development of this.

Last edited:

kentix

English - U.S.
    It's a common phrase among certain people in all sorts of situations. I don't think it has any direct connection to the poodle version. It's just a go-to phrase for some people describing the context of one person being subservient (either willingly or unwillingly) to another.

One person might say it to another for something as simple as being the winner in a hard-fought game of one-on-one basketball.

< Previous | Next >