Ace in the hole

Virtus

Italy - Italian
Hello, I have found this sentence in a newsletter that is about cellular telephone operators and how they are trying to fight the competition coming from application developers such as Google and Apple.

From this context I understand that an "ace in the hole" is something like an "ace up the sleeve". Is this correct?

• cyberpedant

English USA, Northeast, NYC
    Hello, I have found this sentence in a newsletter that is about cellular telephone operators and how they are trying to fight the competition coming from application developers such as Google and Apple.

From this context I understand that an "ace in the hole" is something like an "ace up the sleeve". Is this correct?
    It is not correct.
    Any card "in the hole" is one that has been dealt legally and gives one an advantage. One "up the sleeve" is there because the "sleever" is attempting to cheat.

Virtus

Italy - Italian
    It is not correct.
    Any card "in the hole" is one that has been dealt legally and gives one an advantage. One "up the sleeve" is there because the "sleever" is attempting to cheat.
    OK I think I get the difference. Like having a joker in some games, for instance

Thank you :)

Myridon

English - US
    In some poker games, there is a "hole card" which is dealt face down so that you are the only one who knows what card it is.

< Previous | Next >