aceptada/registrada en el diccionario

yomemoims

Spanish - Spain
Hey,

I wonder if you could help me with this. I'm trying to say the following.

Esta palabra está aceptada en el diccionario.

I could say this noun can be found in the dictionary or this noun exists as it can be found in a dictionary but this is for an academic text so I don't want it to sound too colloquial. Any ideas?

This word is __________ in the dictionary.

Registered?
listed?
accepted?

Thank you

• Rainrover

English - US
    Hi, yomemoims. "Listed" and "registered" are both fine; "registered" sounds more formal. "Accepted" could be used, but it isn't a usage I've seen as often.

Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    "Accepted" carries a connotation that _because_ it appears in the dictionary, it has the prestige of standard language.
    Is the existence of the word in doubt? "Registered" or "documented" would address that question.
    Is your "palabra" a "noun", or a "word"?

yomemoims

Spanish - Spain
    "Accepted" carries a connotation that _because_ it appears in the dictionary, it has the prestige of standard language.
    Is the existence of the word in doubt? "Registered" or "documented" would address that question.
    Is your "palabra" a "noun", or a "word"?
    Basically, it's existence is in doubt, but it does exist. It's a noun, more precisely I want to talk about the word "adventuress". It's a word that no one uses but it can be found in the dictionary. It's not a word I made up by adding -ess to adventurer.

Mr.Dent

English American
    I'd say "listed" or perhaps, as Cenzotle suggests, "documented". "Registered" sounds far too formal.

Magazine

Español-España.
    It's a word that no one uses but it can be found in the dictionary. It's not a word I made up by adding -ess to adventurer.
    No, claro que no lo inventas:thumbsup:, de hecho, quizás no muchas pero hay varias que se me ocurren a bote pronto.

Stewardess
    Heiress
    Empress

Yo diría en clase: it's listed in the dictionary como ha sugerido Mr Dent.

< Previous | Next >