achat hors métier

Jinnifah

Canada, English
Hi,

Does "Achats hors métier" correspond with "non-operating costs"? Or am I on the wrong track here?

Original sentence: Il coordone l'ensemble des services de support, dont les ressources humaines et les achats hors métier.
It's a description of duties for a particular job.

• Michelvar

Quasimodo
    French / France
    Hi,

he is in charge of purchasing goods/services that are not related to the core business. For instance, if the core business is shipbuilding, he will be in charge of buying stationery, stamps, office building maintenance services, company cars, but not the steel used to build ships, nor the paint used to paint ships...

Jinnifah

Canada, English
    I don't know either haha. Thanks for the explanation above though, it certainly helps. I'm sure I'll find an equivalent eventually.

Edit: actually, as soon as I replied I came across indirect/non-core procurement on wikipedia.

Last edited:

Maelou

French
    Digging up threads, hopefully it reaches to someone :)

At work we have the word "métier" that we keep saying in French in the middle of English sentences because there is no obvious translation :
    When something (a development task, a meeting) refers only to the (shared) core knowledge of the team, it is refered to as "métier". Contrary to what I found elsewhere ( application métier ), I do not think that business would apply here, since, in my mind, business relates to project and money-bringing stuff, whereas here, it does not.

Kelly B

USA English
    I think it's ok to use the word "business" in this sort of context, because "core business" serves as a set phrase meaning the activities we do specifically to complete our projects that make money. Non-core business, then, would be the things we do outside of that.

On the other hand, of course, the solutions Jinnifah found don't use "business," so there you go.

Michelvar

Quasimodo
    French / France
    < Previous | Next >