achieving the economic outlook?

< Previous | Next >

faza62

Farsi, Iran
Hi

This question originates from a translation task I am doing from Persian to English. The source is not published so I cannot make a reference to it.

Does achieve collocate with outlook? If no, what a bout realize? Do they collocate with prospect?

The mission defined on this path consists of planning, observation, and executive operations in achieving the broad economic outlook with the aim of acceleration in the advancement of industries related to basic and strategic needs of Iran.

Thank you!

• Thomas Tompion

English - England
    I'd say not. And I wouldn't use realize, or either of them with prospect.

We achieve, or realize, goals.

Both prospects and outlook, suggest independent conditions in the future, like the weather, mostly beyond our control, though we can improve our prospects by our actions.

In this sort of field economic language is not far divorced from everyday ways of saying things.

faza62

Farsi, Iran
    Thanks. So how would a native speaker express this idea into correct English: *one envisions an economic outlook for his business and works toward its realization

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    That's not bad at all, Faza.

I'd probably change 'an economic outlook' to 'a series of economic goals' and alter 'his business' to 'one's business' - it's best to be consistent in one's choice of impersonal register.

< Previous | Next >