aching snow

zhg

Chinese
hi everyone
i got trouble in understanding the following passage from the movie "COLD MOUNTAIN".

To have traveled so far... From east to west, a thousand terrible miles; my feet treading all God's surface - his Ocean, his swamps, his slopes and ridges - to find myself at last a mark in the aching snow from whence I beheld through a blue haze a world of mountains piled upon mountains.

i was wondering why snow could cause him pain or just "aching" here has a different meaning, could anyone help me.
thanks.

• ewie

English English
    Hi everyone.
    I got trouble in understanding the following passage from the movie "COLD MOUNTAIN".

To have traveled so far... From east to west, a thousand terrible miles; my feet treading all God's surface - his Ocean, his swamps, his slopes and ridges - to find myself at last a mark in the aching snow from whence I beheld through a blue haze a world of mountains piled upon mountains.

I was wondering why snow could cause him pain or just "aching" here has a different meaning, could anyone help me.
    Thanks.
    (Just to remind you that all sentences start with a capital letter, and that the word I is always capitalized, as in the quote.)

I interpret it as meaning "snow which causes you to ache [if you stay in it too long]". It's fairly poetic.

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    Snow can be very bright and reflective, too. Perhaps it makes your eyes ache to look at it.

This is a device called "hypallage." The snow clearly makes the speaker ache, and he his transferring this feeling of "aching" from himself to the snow.

< Previous | Next >