achronic present

le_bouton_d'or

English - US
Hey everyone,

This is a bit of an odd question, but does anyone know what the "achronic present tense" is? I've searched on the forums and google but cannot find any definition!

• Reliure

I have absolutely no idea!
    It would sound less strange to my hear if your term were " anachronic " if the context had to do with something with a form of artistic or litterarian creation, but gramatically speacking, I don't see.
    Have you really no sentence or details about what you heard, which would allow us to imagine the context?

Outsider

Portuguese (Portugal)
    "Achronic present" is "timeless present". I think I know what it means. In French, and in English too, the present tense is not just used to speak of events that are happening in the present. (Indeed, English frequently uses the present continuous for this, instead.)

The simple present is also used to state universal truths, like "The square of the hypotenuse of a right triangle is equal to the sum of the squares on the other two sides" (the Pythagorean theorem ;)). Here, the present tense describes facts which do not depend on time. Hence, timeless present.

Last edited:

Reliure

so that's it!!!
    Our French professors who taught us English languages always used to tell us about

• "présent simple"ou gérondif
    Iam doing my homework (at the moment) as :je suis en train de faire mes devoirs
    • "présent d'habitude ou présent continu as:je fais mes devoirs (tous les jours)
    I do my homework (every day)
    Remark: the french language has not got a rule as settled as the Englih one.
    I can say either" j'ai l'impression qu'elle est en train de se moquer de moi or
    j'ai l'impression qu'elle se moque de moi chaque fois qu'on l'invite à la maison, either the situation refered to is punctual, or lasts for days and days.

< Previous | Next >