acknowledged his claim to the throne

ortak

Turkish
The country acknowledged his claim to the throne.
(Oxford Advanced Dictionary)

Hello friends,
I have difficulty to understand the exact meaning of the sentence while I know the words seperately.
'Acknowledge' means 'recognize/accept statues' and 'to the throne' means 'to be king'.
What do they refer to altogether?

Thanks in advance.

• ortak

Turkish
    Using your definitions:

"The country recognised his claim to be king". This means that the country recognised that he had become king. :)
    Words sound very different and 'claim' confused me as if sentence refers to some other meaning.

exgerman

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    Words sound very different and 'claim' confused me as if sentence refers to some other meaning.

here are the first 2 definitions for claim as a noun in this website's dictionary:
    an assertion of a right; a demand for something as due
    an assertion of something as true, real, or factual: he made claims for his innocence
    The sentence you quote contains claim in the first definition---the people accepted his assertion of his right to the throne (not necessarily that he had become king, but that he had the right to become king)

You may be confused by the second sense, which is irrelevant to this sentence.

ortak

Turkish
    here are the first 2 definitions for claim as a noun in this website's dictionary:

The sentence you quote contains claim in the first definition---the people accepted his assertion of his right to the throne (not necessarily that he had become king, but that he had the right to become king)

You may be confused by the second sense, which is irrelevant to this sentence.
    Exactly, thanks a lot exgermen !

< Previous | Next >