...acknowledged that in different cases, managers...

Evelin2208

German
Hey there,

I am not sure if the comma after cases is correct.

Kotler acknowledged that in different cases, managers accomplish several activities within the marketing.

Maybe someone can help me?

• FurryOne

United States, English
    In different cases is an adverbial phrase modifying the "verb accomplish." It should be set off by commas before and after, (that, in different cases, managers) or else the comma should be deleted. If you move the phrase to the end of the sentence the meaning is a little clearer:

Kotler acknowledged (that managers accomplish several activities within the marketing in different cases.) [subordinate clause, direct object of the verb acknowledged.

By the way, I'm not sure what "accomplish several activities within the marketing" means. Perhaps it's clearer in context.

Old Novice

USA, English
    The comma is appropriate, some might even say needed, to separate the opening phrase from the rest of the sentence. However, "the marketing" doesn't work. :) You could either say simply, "marketing," without the "the," or use "the marketing X," where "X" is a word such as "branch," "department" or "function."

Evelin2208

German
    marketing department is what I meant.

Do I need two commas : ...that, in different cases,... ?
    Or do I need just one coma: that in different cases,... ?

< Previous | Next >