Acme

vincent7520

Hello there

Here is the result of my total lazyness and dumbness : for more years that I can remember I read the word in capital letters "ACME" and for fear of looking stupid I never dared to ask what it really means while I lived in the US… Then after I forgot about it, but once in a while I wondered : looked in dictionnaries and never found an answer… and forgot to ask when I met english speaking friends.
So here I am, totally unable to make a tentative translation and unable to get the hint of an answer among the general dictionnaries at hand or on the net.
I understand it has something to do with harware goods, or construction and repair trades but that stops here.
Anybody there to help ?…
Thanx a lot

vincent

• gliamo

France, French
    Dans les dessins animés, ACME est le nom de l'entreprise qui fournit toutes sortes d'objets. Acme signifie zénith, pinacle, donc le meilleur du meilleur. Le nom est ironique car dans les dessins animés les objets fournis par ACME ont tendance à ne pas bien fonctionner!

G.

vincent7520

Incroyable comme on peut être borné parfois !!!!…

"acme" en nom commun … mais je ne connais que ça !!!!………

Jamais je n'aurais imaginé !… L'affaire date effectivement des dessins animés et des comic books que je lisais vers 10 - 12 ans (et j'ai 60 ans …:( )… et les voir en majuscules leur donnait une qualité "différente" : en fait j'ai toujours eu l'impression qu'il s'agissait d'initiales (A.C.M.E.)…

God ! Am I stupid !!!… :eek:

Once your mind is set in a particular frame sometimes (well, most of the time) it's impossible to change perspective. Especially when you don't even think that an alternative may exist !!!…

Merci 1 000 fois !…
    Or a zillion thanx !… :)

vincent7520

zabouli

English/French
    by the way, acme is also a Greek word for zenith, the highest point of something, the climax. That might explain why you never found in English dictionaries.

vincent7520

by the way, acme is also a Greek word for zenith, the highest point of something, the climax. That might explain why you never found in English dictionaries.
    I know… it's even a French word : "l'acmé d'une théorie, d'une philosophie, d'une maladie, du désir … " meaning the highest point of the aforsaid concepts ideas, state of things.

This makes me even more stupid as I used the word in french (not very often of course) and learned ancient Greek for 5 years in high school.
    :( :( :(

Thank you all to keep this between you and me and not to tell all over the place how shortsighted I am !!!… :rolleyes:

< Previous | Next >