acorn-beneath-the-cup

< Previous | Next >

seytes

italian
Hello! I can't find what an acorn-beneath-the-cup mentality could be.

We are talking of gamblers and of believers (in God) who have this kind of mentality.

Thank you

• Loob

English UK
    I've never heard "acorn-beneath-the-cup mentality", but I imagine the reference is to the game - or rather confidence trick - described in this Wiki article:
    The shell game (also known as Thimblerig, Three shells and a pea, the old army game) is portrayed as a gambling game, but in reality, when a wager for money is made, it is a confidence trick used to perpetrate fraud.

[...]
    The game requires three shells (thimbles, walnut shells, bottle caps, plastic cups, and even match boxes have been used), and a small, soft round ball, about the size of a pea, and often referred to as such. It can be played on almost any flat surface, but on the streets it is often seen played on a mat lying on the ground, or on a cardboard box. The person perpetrating the swindle (called the thimblerigger, operator, or shell man) begins the game by placing the pea under one of the shells, then quickly shuffles the shells around.
    I suppose the idea is that people with an "acorn-beneath-the-cup mentality" are the sort of people who would fall for this type of confidence trick.

< Previous | Next >