acquaintance meeting

< Previous | Next >

pera_palas

Turkish
Hello Everyone,
Today's question is something that bothers me for a while now.
In Turkish, we have something called "acquaintance meeting". It is basically a meeting where people are introduced the first time. For instance a club can organize an acquaintance meeting to meet its new members. The meeting does not have to be the very first meeting.
So far I would just simply say "meeting for new comers" or "introductory meeting" but now I faced a situation where neither is ok.
What I would like to ask you is whether you use/I can use "acquaintance meeting". Is it commonly used? (after a bit of googling, I do not think it is preferred much).
Is there any other word that I can use instead?
Thank you all,

• dreamlike

Polish
    If you were to use 'acquaintance meeting' in a conversation with me, I'd either ask you for clarification or take it to be a meeting of people who know each other, even if not very well.

The context is not very clear, but what about 'the first get-together of our club members' or 'the team building meeting of our club members'. This is something I'd be most likely to use, but futher context can make a difference.

Tazzler

American English
    I think that the phrase "meet-and-greet" is commonly used here, even if definitions say it involves a celebrity. It's certainly what first came to mind when I read your question.

pera_palas

Turkish
    Thank you for your answer. Yes, I thought it might not be understood. I will use it in the context of a university welcoming its first students. There is a new university that admitted its first group of students and this is the event where the first students meet their faculty and administrative staff. It is a special occasion.

I hope that now the context is more clear for you.

If you were to use 'acquaintance meeting' in a conversation with me, I'd either ask you for clarification or take it to be a meeting of people who know each other, even if not very well.

The context is not very clear, but what about 'the first get-together of our club members' or 'the team building meeting of our club members'. This is something I'd be most likely to use, but futher context can make a difference.

Tazzler

American English
    If you're worried "meet-and-greet" could be ambiguous you could use the word (which is more formal as well) reception: the club will be having a reception for new members, etc.

pera_palas

Turkish
    I do not think that I can use meet-and-greet. I will be using it as a titled under a photo (that shows the very first meeting where the university staff meets the very first students admitted). That's why I cannot use a sentence. It should be a few words. I am thinking of saying "The First Meeting with the Very First Students". What do you think?

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Like Tazzler, I first thought of "meet and greet", but while that would be fine for a social group, I think it's much too informal for the university situation you describe. Some colleges, including the one I attended, have a meeting for new first-year students; it's called orientation. But that may not be right either, when the university itself is new, and of course so are the faculty members. So actually it's a first for everyone. And since you're looking for a photo caption (not "title") rather than a formal program title, how about simply: ________ University's Very First Meeting.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I would use, "introductory meeting" or a 'networking meeting' or less formally, "a 'getting-to-know-people' meeting".

pera_palas

Turkish
    Thank you all for your valuable contributions. I did choose "University's Very First Meeting")

< Previous | Next >