Senior Member
Bulgarian - Yellow Beach
In this sentence: "I don't think that the government will accede to their demands for independence," can we use "acquiesce" instead of "accede"? When we acquiesce to something, we agree to something quietly and unwillingly (at least Cambridge Dictionary says so). I realize it is slightly different from accede, but can it be used instead?
  • PaulQ

    Senior Member
    English - England
    I agree with the Cambridge Dictionary: acquiesce does usually involve some reluctance, whereas accede is a straightforwardly agree, give way.

    The nuances are subtle but that is the flexibility and utility of English: two words of similar meanings give shades of meaning.
    < Previous | Next >