acquire a regal air

MaryamSeresht

Persian
Hello,

I hope you have a great day. May I mean the title as " to have a beautiful gesture"?

"As soon as she'd{a female dog} get in{the car}, she would acquire a regal air, angling her expression and smiling graciously right and left."

It's part of Inheritance of Loss, a novel by Kiran Desai.

Many thanks.

• Crockett

US English
    Hello MaryamSeresht. Yes, I think you could say that. However, the use of "gesture" to mean "air" is not very common (in AE). But then again, the word, 'air', isn't used very much either. I think better synonyms would be "countenance" or "demeanor" (in my opinion).

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Maryam, have a look at our dictionary for air: this is the relevant sense.

5 (air of) an impression of (a quality or manner).
    ■ (airs) an affected and condescending manner.​

So if the dog has a regal air, she gives the impression of being regal (royal, queenly). That is not the same as having a beautiful gesture. Perhaps she looks very composed or very satisfied?

MaryamSeresht

Persian
    Maryam, have a look at our dictionary for air: this is the relevant sense.

[/INDENT]
    So if the dog has a regal air, she gives the impression of being regal (royal, queenly). That is not the same as having a beautiful gesture. Perhaps she looks very composed or very satisfied?
    yes, natkretep. The dog is very satisfied, since his master takes her ride around the property as an award. And thanks for the meaning of regal.:)

Andygc

British English
    she would acquire a regal air, angling her expression and smiling graciously right and left.
    The phrase should not be seen in isolation - the following text is relevant. When the Queen makes an official visit she waves and smiles graciously to the crowds on both sides of the car or carriage. The dog appears to be doing a good job of imitating her (as best as a dog can).

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    You might understand it as "she would begin to act like a queen", or "she would give the impression of being a queen." "Regal" is being used here in a very literal sense. I am reminded of a comment that Eleanor Roosevelt made about Queen Elizabeth (later the Queen Mother) after meeting her in 1939 that she was "perfect as a Queen, gracious, informed, saying the right thing & kind but a little self-consciously regal."

< Previous | Next >