acquire <deep knowledge?> about

Li'l Bull

Spanish (Spain)
Hello, native speakers of English!

I would like to express the idea that I want to know a lot (as much as I can) about a particular area of study. Is it correct (and, more importantly, idiomatic) to say "I would like to acquire deep knowledge about this area."

Any suggestions, please?

Thank you in advance.

• Ironicus

English & Swahili - East Africa
    We are much more likely to say "I want to study this area as deeply as possible" in a formal context, or say "I want to know as much as I can about this" where the context is less formal.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Are you talkng about skateboarding or quantum physics? The expressions will differ.

Li'l Bull

Spanish (Spain)
    Thanks, PaulQ.

I was thinking more in terms of quantum physics (Chemistry in particular).

acme_54

English UK
    I usually try to avoid "deep/deeper" in this type of expression. I suggest "I'd like to acquire more in-depth knowledge of the area/field/subject".

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I prefer "acquire a more in-depth knowledge of... " to "acquire a deep(er) knowledge of ..."

PS: -
    Are you talkng about skateboarding or quantum physics?
    What's wrong with acquiring an in-depth knowledge of skateboarding? :confused:

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    It's the words that follow in the OP. "Area" doesn't seem to me to be applicable in reference to skateboarding, and,for that matter, neither does field: although in QM little else will do.

Delvo

American English
    I wouldn't use "deep" or "in depth". I wouldn't try to describe the knowledge I seek at all. The verbs "study" and "research" already have that built in.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    I think it advisable to qualify "knowledge" - if you embark on past-graduate studies, saying "I wish to acquire knowledge of this area." it sounds as if, presently, you know nothing of the subject at all.

< Previous | Next >