Acquire little fancies and foibles...

MaryamSeresht

Persian
Hello,

I would be grateful if you answer my question:

"...he began to acquire little fancies and foibles, to cultivate certain eccentricities that, just as he plotted, reiterated the security of his wealth and reinforced his honor all over again. He displayed his purchases, his habits casually but planned them with exactitude- acquired his trademark coat of brocade, his polished cane and kept a pet pangolin, since he had an affinity with all big-nosed creatures."

1- what does "acquire little fancies and foibles" mean? Do you think this character deliberately want to have an eccentric or odd character? If I want to translate the first sentence, is it correct to say: in order to have an odd character, he found some little fancies and foibles?

It's part of Inheritance of Loss, a novel by Kiran Dessay.

Thank you so much for your help.

Last edited:
  • Chapman

English Australia
    The second phrase of the sentence helps you to understand it: "to cultivate certain eccentricities". Take it as a whole phrase rather than each word: "little fancies and foibles" are particular and possibly strange wants or desires that a person might take on as necessary for their life. I guess if they go too far, they can become obsessions. It might be a certain ritual they have to go through before they can do something else, like always sitting at the same place in a restaurant.
    In this case, the man does certain very specific things very deliberately to demonstrate his wealth and place in society.
    I hope this helps.

< Previous | Next >