Acquire online knowledge.

hack3rcon

Russian
Hello.
I'm reading Mafiaboy book by Michael Calce and I want to know in below text what does "acquire online knowledge" mean? Can it mean "Knowledge about how to be online" or "acquire knowledge in online world" ?
"Ever since punting my first user on AOL years before, I had been on a mission to acquire online knowledge and power. By taking down CNN and letting people on IRC know it was me, I had created the exact moment I had dreamed about for years. It was no fluke-I had worked long and hard to get there. Like Dr. Frankenstein proclaiming "It's alive!" this was my moment of triumph"

Thank you.

• Barque

Tamil
    It could mean either that:
    (a) he wanted to acquire, while online, knowledge and power
    or
    (b) he wanted to acquire knowledge and power that was available online
    or
    (c) he wanted to acquire knowledge in relation to online activities.

Given that he was a hacker, I suppose it's (c).

I'm reading Mafiaboy book by Michael Calce

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    I had been on a mission to acquire online knowledge and power
    To me this cannot mean "to acquire <two things> while online" or "to acquire <two things> from online sources". The word "online" does not apply to "acquire" here. If "online" did apply to "acquire" it would be placed at the end:

I had been on a mission to acquire knowledge and power online.

So in this sentence "online" applies to "knowledge" or to "knowledge and power".

hack3rcon

Russian
    To me this cannot mean "to acquire <two things> while online" or "to acquire <two things> from online sources". The word "online" does not apply to "acquire" here. If "online" did apply to "acquire" it would be placed at the end:

I had been on a mission to acquire knowledge and power online.

So in this sentence "online" applies to "knowledge" or to "knowledge and power".
    Thus, "He wanted to acquire knowledge and become a powerful man in online world" ?

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    From the sentence syntax, "online" definitely applies to "knowledge", and probably applies to "power".

"Online knowledge" is knowledge about how everything works in the "onlne world" (on the internet), which would give him the ability to do things there (more than most people can), which would make him powerful there.

There is also a huge amount of general (non-internet) knowledge available online, about everything from A to Z: aardvarks to zoroastrians. He was not interested in acquiring knowledge -- just "online knowledge".

hack3rcon

Russian
    From the sentence syntax, "online" definitely applies to "knowledge", and probably applies to "power".

"Online knowledge" is knowledge about how everything works in the "onlne world" (on the internet), which would give him the ability to do things there (more than most people can), which would make him powerful there.

There is also a huge amount of general (non-internet) knowledge available online, about everything from A to Z: aardvarks to zoroastrians. He was not interested in acquiring knowledge -- just "online knowledge".
    Thank you so much.

< Previous | Next >