acquire sense of value, emotion and love

NewAmerica

Mandarin
Is "acquire sense of value, emotion and love" proper or idiomatic English?

"Machine will be smarter, quicker and stronger than man. But it is impossible for a machine to acquire sense of value, emotion and love."

-Jack Ma

(Source: The original speech is in Chinese. I've translated the content above into English)

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    No, it should be to acquire a/its own/any/this, etc., sense of value, emotion and love." (sense is countable and requires a determiner.)

NewAmerica

Mandarin
    Okay. Thank you. :)

But it is impossible for a machine to acquire a sense of value, emotion and love.

An idiomatic sentence now...

kentix

English - U.S.
    I have no idea what a sense of value means.

I have doubts about emotion and love, too. But at least I know what they mean.

NewAmerica

Mandarin
    Sense of value in this context tends to mean the values in "Trump denies time-honored American values," given such values refer to the universal value for human kinds.

So I am not sure whether "sense of value" is used correctly in the OP. Maybe will simply "values" be okay there? "Have value" would sound as if "be worth something."

kentix

English - U.S.
    "a sense of values" would make a lot more sense. A sense of emotion really doesn't make sense to me.

Maybe the sense is only supposed to apply to the first one.

"But it is impossible for a machine to acquire emotion and love and a sense of values."

< Previous | Next >