acquis admis ajourné

jamesdavisphd

American English
Salut, mes amis ! Hello, my friends! J'écris parce que je suis en train de traduire des relevés de notes et j'ai trouvé les mots suivants comme résultats : acquis, admis, ajourné. Est-ce que quelqu'un peut me donner des traductions en anglais qui contiennent le sens de ces trois termes ? Je n'ai pas eu de succès !

Merci d'avance !

• jann

co-mod'
    English - USA
    Welcome JDP,

Is there a reason you're not satisfied with the definitions listed in our dictionary?

ajourné - postponed
    admis - admitted

Only acquis is not clearly defined, but if you recognize it as the past participle of acquérir, the leap to "acquired" (i.e., the credit in question was earned and duly granted) is not so great.

P.S. We generally need each thread to focus on a single term unless you are specifically trying to understand the difference between a pair of terms. :)

TheDadamb

français - France
    Des relevés de notes ? So the context is school ? I nether heard the word 'ajourné' (but I am just at high school), but I would say admis means admitted and maybe acquis would refer to a certain skill, competence, for example conjugate in the past tenses, or use Pythagoras' theorem....
    I'm not sure though, but that's the only case I heard 'acquis' at school. Maybe it could also mean that the student knows everything he had to learn this year. Anyway, I think it won't imply very good marks, but good ones.

jamesdavisphd

American English
    Hi, Jann...and thank you!

I had encountered some inconsistencies regarding "ajourné" in particular in cross-thread analyses, with "fail" peppering some of the comments, which is not quite the same as "postponed" - Since the purpose of this translation is for this student to obtain equivalencies at an American university, I was hoping for some help in fleshing out definitions and terminologies that would be more readily comprehensible to Registrars elsewhere and/or explanations of how the French system works. For the grades listed as "ajourné", the results are abysmal, so I am at an odd loss here. Would "withdrawal" be remotely acceptable since the French system allows for a possibility to retake a class in which an "ajourné" result is assigned? :)

jann

co-mod'
    English - USA
    I understand. :)

Withdrawl sounds like a reasonable solution assuming this ajourné status does indeed allow the student to retake the course (and replace the abysmal grade with a better one). Of course, in the US system we don't report grades for withdrawls, so it would be strange to have both a grade and a "W" status listed for the same class. I agree that "fail" is not a good solution here. You might consider "postponed" or "deferred" and attaching a translator's note to explain the French system... which you may wish to do anyway, as I'm sure you're fully aware of the significant differences between the two systems and the consequent difficulty of presenting a translated transcript in terms of one-to-one equivalence without further explanation.

(As for acquis, you will probably need to use something like "fulfilled" or "completed." It probably refers to various modules within the curriculum, which you could frame in terms of distribution requirements, as we are accustomed to fulfilling/completing those.)

P.S. Regarding those "abysmal" grades, I just want to make sure you realize that the French grading system is not linear. Whereas a 16/20 represents an 80% or a B- in the US system, which is hardly anything to brag about, it is in fact a good grade in the French system (enough to get you the 2nd-to-highest level of honors on your university degree). And while a 10/20 would be a dismal 50% and a low F in the US, it's the cutoff for getting credit in France, which makes it the functional equivalent of a D for a single class or a C- as an overall average across all courses... except that far more 10s are given than Ds!

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >