'across/along' the bridge

Anna-chonger

Chinese
Hello,
i saw a sentence which seemed a little odd : She drove her car across the bridge.
I think we should use along instead of across, don't we ?

Thanks in advance !

• viajero_canjeado

English - Southeastern USA
    Seems like using the preposition "along" implies a leisurely atmosphere, like there's no particular destination. "Across" means you're going from one side to the other.

Bigote Blanco

Viajero,
    Leisurely atmosphere - Not always. I think it really depends on context.

"It was just before midnight on a dark night in June and Judge Smith was due to arrive home shortly. The stalker walked slowly and quietly along the road toward the Judge's large white house, which stood in the middle of a large grass lawn. As he got closer, he pulled the pistol from under his shirt. It was loaded and ready use. His full intention was to walk across the grass lawn and shoot the man who had put him in prison fifteen years before."

Harry Batt

USA English
    Anna, one trouble with English prepositions is that so many of them--wrong choices--seem to fit. From a standpoint of grammar many of the wrong selections are okay. To speak and write good English, then, in many cases you need to chose the preposition which makes your sentence idiomatic, the acceptable way. When it comes to sentences where someone or something is getting from one side to the other the idiomatic expression is go across or going across. It has been spoken and written that way for a long time. Usage over time makes it correct.

Copyright

American English
    We drive across a bridge and we walk across a road. :)
    Hmm... I would drive across a bridge meaning its length. I would walk across the road if I wanted to get to the other side. I would walk along a road if I were heading in the same direction it is.

I imagine we use across a bridge because the bridge goes across a river, etc. (That's my guess of the moment, anyway.)

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    'Across' gets to the other side. You could walk along a bridge if you were, for example, taking photos of the river or the town. You stay on the bridge but move from one part of its length to another. Or there might be paper lanterns strung along the bridge: these aren't moving to the end to get off it.

MilkyBarKid

British English
    A bridge is built so that people are able get across some very specific obstacle, to get from one side to the other side of this obstacle.

A road is built to overcome each and every obstacle in the way as you walk/drive from one town to another, because it is easier for a person/car/conveyance to move along the cleared section of land (=free from any vegetation or rocks or holes in the ground that may impede progress).

layman9

vietnamese
    If I started on the south half of a bridge and finished on the other side, can I say "I walked across the bridge".

Is it different from starting on the south side to the north side?

Thank you in advance!

< Previous | Next >