1. catalinaaaa87

    catalinaaaa87 Senior Member

    Argentina - español
    hi! what`s the difference between across and through???

    hola! cual es la diferencia entre across y through??

    thanks...gracias! :)
  2. valdo Senior Member

    Riga, Latvia
    Latvia, Latvian
    Maybe I'm wrong but I would say that you go across something (for example a field) where the "visibility" is good, I mean, you see the point/place you are heading for...but when you go through something (for example a forest) you don't see your "destination"...

    Éste es mi parecer, espero que te sirva,

  3. catalinaaaa87

    catalinaaaa87 Senior Member

    Argentina - español
    muchas gracias!
    thank you very much!
  4. Porteño Member Emeritus

    Buenos Aires
    British English
    Interesting valdo, I had never thought of that distinction but your idea is somewhat in agreement with the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary which says:

    from one side to the other of something with clear limits, such as an area of land, a road or river:

    from one end or side of something to the other:

    The examples the dictionary gives for 'through' generally imply some kind of difficulty, whereas 'across' is straightforward.
  5. Forero Senior Member

    Houston, Texas, USA
    USA English
    To go across something is to cross it, to pass from one side to the other on an intersecting path. (The two intersecting paths resemble a cross.) We go across a street when we pass from one side of it to the other.

    To go through something is to enter it and exit on the other side or end. We go through a tunnel when we enter at one end and exit at the other or when we go across it in an intersecting tunnel.

    We we go across a forested area, we can say we go through it because we enter it and exit it.

    We go across a bridge because we get onto it, walk over, and then get off it. We don't say we go through it because we don't enter (go into) and exit (come out of) it.
  6. Toru-chan Member

    Granada (Spain)
    Spanish (Spain)
    very clear, forero, thanks!
    So, if I am talking about a voice which crosses a wall from a side to the other side (from a room to the next one) I should say "the voice through the wall", as the voice gets into and out the wall, shouldn't I?
  7. Aritul

    Aritul Senior Member

    Hi Toru-chan,

    I would say "the voice heard through the wall" or "the voice from the other side of the wall."

Share This Page