across, within, in between?

< Previous | Next >

ken_oy

Chinese
Hi everyone, I have a question about how to use these words.

I have to do the following corrections:

Case 1:
Q1: Have you had your medicine? If yes, when?
If participant answered "No", but answered the exact time. I have to change his/her "No" to a "Yes",

My question: Can I call this "Within question correction? or any suggestions?"

Case 2:
Q1: participant answered "Yes".
Q2: Are you currently using any medicine? Participant answer "No",
Then I have to change his/her "NO" in Q2 to a "Yes".

My question: Can I call this "Across question correction? or any suggestions?"

Thank you very much!

• lucas-sp

English - Californian
    Hi Ken -

Honestly, I don't understand what you're asking - which is not to say that you're asking something stupid, or that you're asking it in a bad way.

I just mean that I would call both of the changes you have to make "corrections" or "revisions." I don't see the difference between the two different kinds of "corrections." And without some sort of distinguishing feature to tell these two kinds of situations apart, there isn't a corresponding word.

Maybe you could say that the first situation retroactively makes you correct the participant's earlier answer. And maybe in medical processing there are specific words for these. But I personally cannot think of any.

sdgraham

USA English
    I don't know what you're asking, either, but I shudder at the thought of somebody "correcting" answers to crucial medical questions. In the real world, medical personnel just start over or interview the patient until the answers are consistent.

ken_oy

Chinese
    Hi Ken -

Honestly, I don't understand what you're asking - which is not to say that you're asking something stupid, or that you're asking it in a bad way.

I just mean that I would call both of the changes you have to make "corrections" or "revisions." I don't see the difference between the two different kinds of "corrections." And without some sort of distinguishing feature to tell these two kinds of situations apart, there isn't a corresponding word.

Maybe you could say that the first situation retroactively makes you correct the participant's earlier answer. And maybe in medical processing there are specific words for these. But I personally cannot think of any.

Thank you all for helping, and sorry for the confusing.

Please assume the corrections/revisions I made were correct.
    In Case 1:
    I tried to make correction based on information from the same question. I want to call this correction "Within question correction". Is it ok?

In case 2:
    I tried to make correction based on information from different question(s). I want to call this kind of correction "Across question correction". OK?

I really don't know how to summarize what I did.

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    Maybe if you can explain why you want to make this distinction, it would help. Can you give a sentence in which you would use "within question correction" (and in which it would be important to have a phrase like "within question correction")?

One thing that's difficult is that in both cases you're dealing with separate questions. There are three questions here, but you (arbitrarily) call the first two "Question 1" and the last one "Question 2." To me, they still both seem like "corrections" - there's nothing different about what you do in situations 1 and 2.

< Previous | Next >