1. Eye in the Sky

Eye in the Sky Senior Member

Bogotá
    Spanish-Colombia
    Hi. Do you think I can use the word across in this translation?
    man’s lonely spirit speaks through this mimics, more sincerely and more thoughtless than across spoken monologue”. (my translation)

This is the original text in Spanish: "a través de esta mímica habla el espíritu solitario del hombre, con más sinceridad e inconciencia que en el monólogo hablado."

Thx very much

2. kite girl New Member

español, argentina
    podría ser: across this mimic, spike the spirit's lonely man, with more sincerely and thoughtlessness than spoken monologue

espero que te sirva, saludos

Marcela.

3. jinti

jinti Senior Member

Across doesn't seem to work here.

How about:

Man's lonely spirit speaks through this mimicry/mime (???) more sincerely and unconsciously (less self-consciously?) than in spoken monologue.

4. JB

JB Senior Member

Santa Monica, CA, EEUU
    English (AE)
    I like your translation, but the word "mime" (while correct, I chekced the dictionary) makes me think of a person (a mime, like Marcel Marceau), so I wouild use "mimicry". I would also use "less self-consciously", partly because of the construction of "more __ and less".

5. Eye in the Sky

Eye in the Sky Senior Member

Bogotá
    Spanish-Colombia
    You guys really know what you're talking about. Thanks!

6. jinti

jinti Senior Member

Yeah, I got the same image of Marcel Marceau ;). But then again, I don't know the context -- maybe mime is the path to the unconscious. Or maybe it just leaves you unconscious. :D