Act: act uninterested vs act like you're not interested

< Previous | Next >
Hello,

Which option is appropriate (natural) in my examples below?

a. Some people like to act uninterested when they're doing business. It's a way of getting an advantage.
b. What? You don't want to come with us? Stop acting uninterested. I know you enjoy going out on Saturdays. Come on! Let's go.

Vs

c. Some people like to act like they're not interested when they're doing business. It's a way of getting an advantage.
d. What? You don't want to come with us? Stop acting like you're not interested. I know you enjoy going out on Saturdays. Come on! Let's go.

Meaning intended: pretend not to be interested, like or want something.

Thank you in advance!

• harbottle

Australia; English
    Nice question. Related word: "disinterested", which is subtly different to b) and d)

I do not think there is a difference between "uninterested" and "not interested", save for economy of language. In a written text I would use "uninterested" because you can express it in fewer terms but in spoken dialogue I would use "not interested" because it sounds more natural. That is based on personal taste however and I definitely do not think that there is any difference in meaning at all.

harbottle

Australia; English
    My strong preference is for ​d)

I don't see anything wrong with it at all. b) is fine too but sounds a little awkward to my ear.

harbottle

Australia; English
    No in your case I definitely think that this is the best sentence:

"What? You don't want to come with us? Stop acting like you're not interested. I know you enjoy going out on Saturdays. Come on! Let's go."

< Previous | Next >