Act Like You Think Like Your Woman's Man

Tacherie

Spanish - Argentina
Hello guys,

This is the title of a fictional book in a US comedy show from around 2005. The book itself is supposed to be about how well you match up with your partner through a series of compatibility tests and advise on how to stay married. I'm having troubles to translate the title, so I was wondering if you can help me with the syntactic deconstruction because I'm getting lost in the slang. By the type of book, it's something mostly women would read... let alone buy and have signed (which is how the plot goes on)

So my first assumption was: "Act like you are a good woman to your man."

On the other hand, if I were to strictly follow the spelling and grammar as it is, it should mean: Act (main verb) like (comparative) you (subject: man) think (verb) like (comparative) your (possessive adj.) woman's (possessive/genitive) man (noun). Basically meaning something like -paraphrasing a lot: "Be good to your woman"

One of the characters says: "I know i should not judge a book by its cover, but what about its title?" so there's something definitely wrong with the title. I really think it should be the first option, but just to check, what do you think?

Last edited:
  • I think it's a convoluted title, Tacherie. :) I had to read it a couple of times to figure it out, and my interpretation is different from both of yours. The title is aimed at men, even though more women might actually buy the book. To paraphrase the title requires a lot more words, but I think it means something like:

Behave as though you really did think the way your woman believes that you think.

In other words, the premise is that women believe men think in a certain way. (The unstated implication is that men don't really think that way.) The book claims to teach men how to act as though they thought in that way so that they match their women's expectations. It sounds pretty stupid, frankly, and that may have been the point of the remark about judging a book by its title. A more honest but less catchy title might have been:

Act Like You're the Man Your Woman Believes You To Be

Does this help? It's hard to explain.

Tacherie

Spanish - Argentina
    It helps a lot A little edgy, although I admit I feel my head is a little convoluted still :p

The Prof

Every time I read that sentence, I come up with a different interpretation - which is perhaps intentional on the part of the writer! My latest idea is that it might mean: Act as if (pretend!!!) that your woman is in charge. In other words, let your partner (woman) think that she is the one who calls the shots. Admittedly, in arriving at this I'm interpreting the second "like" in a very colloquial way.

On the other hand, a little edgy's suggestion makes a lot of sense. :)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >