act vs action

Sun14

Chinese
Hello, my friends,

I search for the difference between the two finding that act implies someone does one thing while action implies more, but I find when we describe one movement by a person, we tend to use action.

1) Jump is the first act done of the jump shot.
2) Jump is the first action done of the jump shot.

Thoughts: Obviously, jump is a simple movement done by a jump shooter but I find people tend to use action in this context.

• Glenfarclas

English (American)
    I would say that "action" is usually more closely associated with physical movement, while "act" is more likely to be used in other contexts. In your example, "action" is the better-sounding word.

jamescork

India-English
    An action is something which is done by an agent. In common speech, the term action is often used interchangeably with the term behaviour. Behavior is defined as automatic and reflexive activity, while action is defined as intentional, purposive, conscious and subjectively meaningful activity. Thus, throwing a ball is an instance of action; it involves an intention, a goal, and a bodily movement guided by the agent .

<< Source:
    The Wiki article on Action (philosophy.)
    Please name the source of any quoted text. >>

Last edited by a moderator:

Sun14

Chinese
    I would say that "action" is usually more closely associated with physical movement, while "act" is more likely to be used in other contexts. In your example, "action" is the better-sounding word.
    I see. Thus can action refer to one movement in such context?

Sun14

Chinese
    An action is something which is done by an agent. In common speech, the term action is often used interchangeably with the term behaviour. Behavior is defined as automatic and reflexive activity, while action is defined as intentional, purposive, conscious and subjectively meaningful activity. Thus, throwing a ball is an instance of action; it involves an intention, a goal, and a bodily movement guided by the agent .

<< Source:
    The Wiki article on Action (philosophy.)
    Please name the source of any quoted text. >>

I see, but act is also done by an agent, isn't it?

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    They are difficult words to define abstractly. Give concrete examples with sufficient context, and then it will be easier to comment on the appropriate use of those words.

< Previous | Next >