acting in a film/movie or play as the "partner" of somebody

Ume

Banned
Japanese
http://www.oxfordadvancedlearnersdictionary.com/dictionary/opposite_3
opposite
acting in a film/movie or play as the partner of somebody
- She starred opposite Tom Hanks.
Does the sample sentence mean "She acted (in a movie) as Tom Hanks's wife"?
Does partner mean "someone's husband or wife or the person someone has sexual relations with," not "one of two or more people, businesses, etc., that work together or do business together"?

• sdgraham

USA English
    In a move or play (AE), playing "opposite" means that both have a leading role. I consider "partner" to be out of place as a synonym since there is not necessarily any bond between either the characters or the actors portraying them.

As to the nuances of partner, the Word Reference Dictionary here has a long list of prior threads.

Last edited:

timpeac

English (England)
    In a move or play (AE), playing "opposite" means that both have a leading role. I consider "partner" to be out of place as a synonym since there is not necessarily any bond between either the characters or the actors portraying them.

As to the nuances of partner, the Word Reference Dictionary here has a long list of prior threads.
    I agree. "Opposite" to me, in terms of a film, means "has the other main role", a secondary protagonist. Of course, Hollywood being what it is, this means often that this is a love interest but not necessarily.

Ume

Banned
    Japanese
    Thank you, sdgraham and timpeac.

- She starred opposite Tom Hanks.
    She might have acted the part of Tom's wife, business partner or someone else as a leading character, might she?

sdgraham

USA English
    Please note that "opposite" has nothing to do with "opposite sex," and does not always mean male/female roles.

For example: The Devil Wore Prada and Julie and Julia in which both leading roles were female and there was no romance involved.

< Previous | Next >