acting in a film vs. working on a film

< Previous | Next >

erroranalysis

German
If a film project was not yet completeted - the film crew is still working hard - , would you say:

She is acting in the film "White Roses." I will watch it as soon as it is released later this year. I am looking forward to watching it since she is my favourite actress.

Or would you just say:

She is working on the film "White Roses."

Or does it work either way?

(I used my own example sentences.)

• Copyright

American English
    I would say, "She is in the film White Roses." That tells us she's acting in it. If you say, "She's working on the film White Roses," I would not immediately think she's an actor.

Loob

English UK
    I think I'd probably use the verb "make": "She's currently making White Roses, a film about....".

Egmont

English - U.S.
    "Working" includes the cast (actors) and everyone else involved with producing a film, from the director down to the lowest coffee fetcher. You have to know what a particular person does in order to know what the word means in a specific context. If I hear "J. J. Abrams is working on a film," I assume he is directing. If I hear "Judi Dench is working on a film," I assume she is acting. If I hear "John Williams is working on a film," I assume he is composing the music for it. Any of those assumptions could be wrong, since people who are well known for one aspect of their work sometimes do other things as well. And if I hear "Hippo Smith is working on a film," I have no idea what he or she is doing since I have no idea who Hippo Smith is.

< Previous | Next >